Kuala Lumpur Airport Transfer!
This is a best guide for Kuala Lumpur international airport to the city Centre transfers (KL Sentral, Bukit Bintang, Chinatown, Petronas towers): a complete guide 2023
We welcome you to Kuala Lumpur international airport, located in the Sepang district about 60 km (37 miles) from KL city Centre. This airport has two main terminals KLIA and KLIA2 about 1.8 km from each other. There is a Skytrain for transfer between the terminals.
Ways to go from Kuala Lumpur airport to the city Centre
- The easiest option is to take a taxi, but it is the most expensive, the fastest transport to the city center from KLIA and KLIA2 is by ekspress train and the cheapest is to catch the bus. Only you can decide what is the right option for you.
- Kuala Lumpur Airport bus – The airport bus journey is about one hour to KL Sentral and around one and a half hours to reach Chinatown. So extra transit is required by Metro or bus from KL Sentral or else book a Grab to take you to your accommodation. If you’re caught in traffic and you may experience delays especially during peak times. So don’t choose this option if you are in hurry. The buses are very comfortable with air-conditioning, baggage compartments, and reclining seats.
Cost of Kuala Lumpur airport bus
The cheapest way to get from KLIA to the city Centre is by bus. One way ticket cost RM 15 or 3 USD. Tickets are available from the transportation hub which is located on the ground floor of the main terminal building. Only three minute’s walk from the arrival area. You can purchase bus tickets from the counter to the city Centre (KLSentral). The bus does not go to the city center but stops at KL Sentral requires extra transport to the destination within the city.
* Make sure you have ringgits as only Malaysian ringgits are accepted in Kuala Lumpur. You can convert the currency of your country to ringgits but the conversion rate is more in the airport. You can buy ringgits at better conversion in the city center. There are many shops in the city where conversion charges are minimal.
* You can order your Malaysian prepaid Sim card online and collect it at Kuala Lumpur airport KLIA at RM23 or 5.50US$. You can hotspot all your gadgets from one SIM card connection. So need not buy more than one if you are traveling with family or friends.
Kuala Lumpur airport train
KLIA Ekspress train
- This is the fastest way to get from KLIA to the city center. There is a non-stop service to KL city located in KL Sentral. This takes 28 minutes.
- KLIA transit train – This train stops at 3 stations, the first stop at Salak Tinggi, the next at Putrajaya and Bandar Tasik Selatan and the last stop at KL Sentral. This takes around 38 minutes.
They are equipped with 4G Wi-Fi.
Cost of Kuala Lumpur airport train tickets
One Way ticket either KLIA express or KL transit cost 55 Malaysian ringgits or US$13.20 round-trip costs 100 Malaysian ringgits or US$24. You can purchase your tickets at the ticket counter available on the platform, the airport Metro departs every 15 minutes. both single trip and round-trip tickets are valid for 30 days from the select travel date. (1USD- 4.48RM)
1. where to catch the Kuala Lumpur airport train
Take the Metro from the arrival terminal and follow the signage to the platform. Note that the KLIA train stops at both KLIA1 and KLA2. You can pre-purchase your tickets online. You can find the ticket counter and train terminal at level 1 of KLIA.
2 Kuala Lumpur airport to Bukit Bintang or Chinatown
Once you reach KL Sentral take a monorail from KL Sentral to Bukit Bintang which is the fifth stop and takes around 10 minutes. You can purchase your tickets from the vending machine. It cost 2.5 ringgits or US$0.58 if you want to go to China town it would be the same way, but here you need to get off at the second stop.
3. Kuala Lumpur airport to KLCC. Once you reach KL Sentral, you need to take an additional train. LRT Kelana, Jaya line ((N ° 5) will take you to KLCC. You can purchase your tickets from the vending machine. It cost 2.5 ringgits or US$0.58. Once you reach KLCC, Petronas towers are at a walkable distance.
4. Grab taxi is the preferred option for transfers within the city, as this is cheaper when compared with another conventional taxi. You can download the grab app.
5. Go KL City Bus is a free bus service for the Kuala Lumpur central business (CBD)
Five minutes frequency during peak hours,15 minutes during off-peak hours. Daily operations from 6 am-11 pm. (free bus service within the city)
6. KL Travel pass single or round trip KLIA ekspres card and unlimited metro card for 2 Days. It is a money saving and hassle free when visiting Kuala Lumpur.
7. My City Pass avails to get unlimited rides on MRT, LRT, Monorail. The pass is available for purchase at all LRT, MRT, Monorail stations.
Although only slightly cheaper than taking a taxi, the Metro is not the most convenient method as all transportation goes to only KLSentral Station, therefore, requires extra Metro transfer. You can visit KLIA express website at www.kliaekspres.com for fares and schedule.
Kuala Lumpur airport to the city center by taxi
Taxi is the most preferred easiest and most convenient option for transfer from the airport to your accommodation. Kuala Lumpur airport provides taxis that operate 24 x 7. They offer door-to-door service. Taxi is much better as both Metro and bus will stop at KL Sentral. The further additional transfer is required. You need to purchase a taxi coupon from the transport desk near the arrival terminal.
Taxi cost from the airport to the city Centre
A coupon price for a regular taxi trip to KLCC will cost approximately 115 Malaysian ringgits 25US$. This includes toll charges. This depends on day or night, whether else the distance traveled and type of car selected.
Finding a taxi at the airport
Taxis are available at the airport taxi ranks outside the arrival hall from either KLIA or KLIA2 to the terminal. You need to follow the signs to the taxi counter and stands.
Taxi is the most efficient transport option to the city center. That too when you are traveling with luggage you can also look for private airport transfers in advance.
Cost Comparison of the options
No matter which mode of transportation you decide, we wish you a safe travel and a fun time exploring KL.